Good bye California, I'll miss you !!
-- sorry, this time in english...I admit that this one is a reuse of an SAP internal blogpost --
I joined the Special Projects team in March 2013. At that time we were sitting away from the main SAP campus in Los Altos, working in the original AppHaus. It was an inspiring office, so different from any of SAP's other offices. The feeling was like a startup: rough, energetic, focused and motivated. If you've seen the movie Social Network, about Facebook's early days, you have some idea how it felt.
In June we moved to Building 8 in the newly renovated Dear Creek campus. The three buildings in this part of the Palo Alto facilities follow the AppHaus model of teams working in open, unwalled spaces. They incorporate much of what has been learned from teams in other buildings. And actually, it’s great! I liked it from the very beginning, when we had just a table and a chair. Within a couple of days we made this space our space. We designed it, moved furniture, hung pictures and placed plants. I really like the open space, and its unfinished incompleteness. This environment, enables and supports the active communication and collaboration essential to fast, effective work. Also, I have never written so much on white boards and walls (nearly all surfaces are covered with special paint that lets you use dry-erase markers everywhere). It took a while to get used to doing this as it brought up deep childhood memories of such behavior being strictly forbidden; here, now, its encouraged.
Most recently there was a huge change in team direction as our team joined the COO organization. We have taken on the challenge of reinventing SAP's development culture, methods and tools. We started by having a 2-day workshop in Walldorf, and conducting over 40 interviews with colleagues in various roles and from various locations. From these we will begin to understand the main pain points of the current development processes.
Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen